Sunday, June 17, 2007

You had me at bacon

This last Friday, Baby Balsamic, Mama Salsa and I ventured onto the nearby peninsula and discovered the delightful town of Poulsbo, Washington, which is like dropping in on a Norwegian village circa the 50s, but with more avant-garde art and better food. There's about 5 blocks through downtown with adorable store after restaurant after bakery after coffee shop (I especially enjoyed the Poulsbohemia Cafe) threaded by streets names things like "King Olav V vei" and "Queen Sonja Henie." Okay, it was just named Queen Sonja, but wasn't Sonja Henie adorable?

And let me start off by saying that the people there were all incredibly nice. When we first arrived, we had to quickly find a potty for the newly trained Baby Balsamic, but public potties are few and far between in these modern times. A woman who worked at the nearby Marina led us to their restroom and plugged in the code so we could gain entry. After Baby Balsamic had taken care of her urgent need, I was chatting with the woman who told me that I must check out the local Marina Market, as they had a wild stock of European foods.

Now, my devoted readers will already know that there's nothing I love more than discovering and experiencing an exotic new condiment, so mention of a store brimming with strange sauces and sublime rubs had me trotting up to the doors as fast as my sensible Clarks could carry me (Baby Balsamic in tow of course, I didn't leave her back at the Marina restroom).

And low and behold, she was right. There was shelf after shelf of strange Norwegian sauces and pickles and concoctions that would make the most discerning pallet love lutefisk (or not. It's a hard sell). Sadly, I only have so much money and approached the counter with only two items: 1. A tube of what I could only suppose was lemon mayonnaise, as it was called "Sitron Majones," but there was no english anywhere on the packaging to confirm this. It was either lemon mayonnaise or "serious testicles."

2. A jar of a yellow mustardy mixture with bits of unidentifiable things floating in it. Again, no english at all on the jar, but there was a picture of one of those rolled up sandwich things that they serve at catered functions (nobody I know rolls up their sandwiches).

I asked the lovely woman behind the counter what was in the yellow jar and she said, "Well, for starters, Bacon..." then she kept talking about other things and how it was used for the roll sandwich, etc, etc. But all I said was, "You had me at 'Bacon.'" We started chatting about my blog and she ended up giving me a complimentary condiment, an Indonesian red pepper rub, which she said would be quite good with rice.

So far, I have only tried the Sitron Majones and it was...interesting. It was clearly mayonnaise, and it had some lemon, but it also was a little sweeter than I expected. I swiped some on bread and added a slice of mayonnaise and it was tasty, but I think I'll reserve this for a future picnic where I need a handy mayonnaise dispenser.

Since it was Father's Day today, Big Daddy Condiment was over and he too sampled the Sitron Majones.

"It tastes fishy. Did they add lutefisk or something?"

No one else could taste the fish, but it made me wonder if one of the Norwegian ingredients on the label (fortykningsmiddel perhaps?) doesn't mean "testicles."

Happy Father's Day!

Condiment Grrl

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Speaking of bacon, I was rather disappointed when, during my recent sojourn to PDX, I was unable to purchase a bacon maple bar at Voodoo Donut. I had to settle for a no name instead. Good, very good, but still I was really looking forward to the bacon.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Brent Hartinger said...

Really excellent post.

Now let's have more than three of them a month!

(Yes, more pressure. It's needed, apparently.)

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter