Saturday, May 26, 2007

Epicurean Epiphanies for Everyday?

So I just found a new delicious mustard today. The last few days I had been disconsolately staring at my open mustards, vaguely dissatisfied, unsure of how I ended up with three different horseradish mustards open at the same time. And I'm out of my G*D mustard, which always puts me out of sorts. I had a lucious breast of chicken and nothing I felt like rubbing all over it.

I don't even like horseradish mustard all that much. It's like going to a dinner party at the house of two fascinating, but not totally socially presentable, married people who both get a little TOO intense on the topic of the capitalist trending of mainland China and the possible ramifications for Taiwan and Tibet. And they don't let up until you feel sad and bitter and a little sick to your stomach.

Of course, I may yet have to find the PERFECT horseradish mustard. I'm sure it's out there, somewhere, if I wish on a yellow star when the moon is perfectly phased.

This new mustard is a new flavor combination I have yet to try: Madras Curry mustard made by a relative upstart in the condiment business: dulcet. Two things caught my eye on the little jar: 1. It's small, so I don't have to buy a giant jar of something that I might not like all that much. 2. The company slogan "Epicurean Epiphanies for Everday." I like the slogan, but I would have worded it differently. I think Everyday Epicurean Epiphanies flows off the tongue a little easier.

Baby Balsamic was feasting on her usual highly-nutitious, organic, raised by blind Tuscan nuns type food - a hot dog. I snagged a piece of her Bavarian treat and tried it with a bit of the mustard. Nice, sweet, the curry flavor was strong, but not too strong. I dipped my finger in for the straight-taste-test, and found it a bit sweeter than I thought, but quite compelling. Unlike many other strange combinations of condiments, they managed to balance the curry flavor with the vinegar and the cayenne. I used it to make my favorite balsamic vinaigrette and it livened up my green salad.

Final decision: I highly recommend the Madras Curry mustard by dulcet. And it's made in Oregon and all-natural so you don't have to worry about contributing to global warming through your ingestion of high-fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated soybean oils.

And now I don't have to feel peevish when I view my mustards. I really must dispose of these open horseradish mustards.

Condiment Grrl

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter