Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Cold Spring and a blind date that just didn't work...

We had turkey breast for dinner tonight and I was really looking forward to my version of comfort food -- Lemon, Dill, & Caper sauce accompanied by a salad with a nice garlicky, anchovy-heavy, balsamic vinaigrette homemade by me while Baby Balsamic begged for a taste of the Dijon mustard which I used to spike the dressing.

But as I wiped my turkey in the tangy, course sauce, it just didn't do it for me. The turkey was too dense, too dry to be a moist home for my chosen condiment. I needed a hot and sour cranberry variation (sometimes the old standards are standards for a reason). Chicken is a bit juicier and sweeter than it's larger, dumber brother Turkey. Although this musing is making me wonder what the perfect condiment would be for a Turducken? I ended up breaking up pieces of turkey, under the glaring eye of the turkey cook, Mr. Mustard, and adding it to my salad. It worked great with the figs and avocado.

Maybe it's the cold spring weather that's making me peevish, but when a favored condiment doesn't go with something you think it will, it's like the entire Universe spins a little more crazily out of whack. And I'm out of Norman Bishop G*D mustard. Sigh.

Tomorrow morning is mother's day and I'm fully expecting my favorite bacon recipe that involves the bacon being coated with brown sugar, a bit of black pepper and a bit of cayenne pepper. I don't think the cold spring day could take away my joy in that dish.

Condiment Grrl

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CondimentGrrl said...

I'm horrified this comment made it past my blogger watchdogs! I tearfully apologize...

Condiment Grrl

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter