Saturday, March 03, 2007

Zorba's true name is....THYME!

So, tonight, I finally twisted off the top of my mysterious Greek mustard (the only english writing on the label is "Balsoman") and dipped into it's exotic flavors. At first, I thought, "it's tarted up French's mustard." In other words, just typical mustard stuffed into a jar with lots of Greek writing. Then I realized, it wasn't quite as bitter as most mustards and there was a lingering flavor on the tongue. What was it? I took another bite of the breaded pork chop and pondered my lack of formal foodie training -- I can't take a sip of wine and be all "it has a berry start, then an oaky undertone with a hint of raisons and okra." Hmmm...okra wine. That would sit right next to the Lutefisk vodka on the grocery shelf.

I knew the flavor was herby -- rosemary or sage or some such. And I recognized it from my spice shelf, but it took me a minute to finally identify the mustard as a thyme mustard. And it was really good. I've heard tell there's a man at work who reads Greek, so I'm going to bring him the bottle and see if he can tell me what it says and we'll see if I'm right.

It went well with asparagus and I can't wait to try it with a roast chicken. Maybe I'll cut it with a little mayonnaise because I'm American and we must always have much fat in our diet.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter