Friday, February 02, 2007

The Healing Power of Condiments

I had sushi today for lunch and I know I've blogged before about the healing and restorative powers of the condiments that accompany sushi - wasabi and pickled ginger and soy sauce. But today, I was also craving lemon with my raw salmon. Really craving lemon. So, I bought a small lemon along with my sushi and consumed it, peel and all, along with my pork of the sea.

Now, all my naturopath-loving, vegan, hippie Berkeley-like friends would be like "Woah, it's like you're craving the Vitamin C or something. Wow, have you ever looked at your hand? I mean really looked at your hand?" And they would be right. I am fighting off a cold and when you're really looking down the yawning maw of a bad cold, that is when you must turn to the healing power of condiments.

Garlic, I mean, c'mon. Boring. Even the most sheltered Republican midwesterner who only shops at Piggly Wiggly (or whatever it's called), knows that garlic has lots of healing powers (the Weekly World News runs articles about it and the aliens who live in the Empire State Building all the time). And then there's ginger (covered with pickled ginger). And in my earliest blogs, I talked about the turmeric in mustard which has been found to stave off Alzheimer's. And lemon. And vinegar, which helps with weight loss and repulses vampires. Or is that mushrooms?

The whole point is that one reason to worship condiments as I do, is that they promote healing and general health. Especially when consumed with lots of red wine. Which stops heart attacks.

One more note on this, then I'll stop -- Cyclone Cider. Hailed as a restoritive, cure-all, it's basically a giant condiment experiment (like I used to do with my friends) gone oh-so-right.

Condiment Grrl.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are sooo right! Sushi always makes me feel a bit better when I think I'm coming down with a cold or something. Not sure if it's the wasabi or ginger or the fresh fish. It may be the whole kit & caboodle, but I always feel better after eating sushi. Thanks for stopping. Visit anytime. --Erika

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter