Saturday, January 06, 2007

Re-discovering a first love...

Remember the first time you fell in love? I mean really, REALLY fell in love, the total, I will be with you the rest of my life and be buried with you (or shot into space or whatever they'll be doing by the time I pass onto the great mustard store in the sky). That's how it used to be with me and red wine vinegar. It was young love, so it was destined to fail. I would be destined to meet another, deeper, older, perhaps richer (not that I'm shallow) and leave behind my first love.

But, oh, my love was strong and true and deep. As a child, I would drink this vinegar for a special treat. I would sneak out of bed in the middle of the night and stir together vinegar, ketchup, and mayonnaise in one of those glasses they used to sell prawn cocktails in and surreptiously slurp it while devouring a Nancy Drew.

When I was 16, I took a trip to England and saw lots of history and plays and culture and stuff, but what I really remember is making a vinaigrette out of wine vinegar and powdered mustard.

Memories. Sweet memories.

Then of course, Balsamic vinegar hit me like a ton of bricks and I haven't been as much of a vinegar swinger as I am a mustard player. Oh, I'll dabble sometimes, especially with the fruity variety (heh). But now, it's the rare red wine vinaigrette that satisfies me.

Tonight, Mr. Mustard prepared a Jambalaya with a side of collard greens. A taste tickled my subconscious and I found myself in the kitchen digging through my jars and bottles to see if I had a red wine vinegar. I had only a teaspoonful in one last bottle and I poured it on the greens and as I mulled the tart accent to the earthy greens, I realized that maybe I needed to call up my old love again. Maybe go out once or twice for old times sake. It won't be like it was in my extreme youth, but nothing could be like that. It was a rare, heady time.

But, I might sneak to the kitchen in the middle of a night this week and mix up some ketchup, mayonnaise and vinegar. It would be nice if I had an old prawn cocktail glass, but life does move on.

But I do have time to slurp an old friend.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter