Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Give Thanks...

We all have many blessings in our lives that we can give thanks for. Since this is a blog about condiments, I must give thanks for all the fine sauces, relishes, spices and thick savory syrups that make my life so rich and meaningful.

Where would I be without:

-- Norman Bishop's Dill and Garlic mustard
-- Holy Jalepeno relish
-- pickled garlic (a taste treat that Baby Balsamic also relishes)
-- Balsamic vinegar, especially the delicious kind procured in Italy
-- Sun-dried tomato pesto

And the simple things like French's mustard. And ketchup.

Tonight I partook of a cracked crab and had the great good fortune to experience a new kind of cocktail sauce -- Stonewall Kitchen's Lemon Dill variety. Now, I am a big fan of Stonewall Kitchen's other products, but I begin to think you shouldn't mess too much with cocktail sauce. Take your ketchup and your horseradish, maybe some Worcestershire and you got a friendly ride for most seafood. This version was a little sweet, a little too subtle. I ended up mixing it with a mustard/mayo mixture and that was quite good, but you know, you could add pureed okra to creamy mayonnaise and have a taste treat. It's MAYONNAISE.

I guess I forgot to give thanks for mayonnaise. And I give thanks for myself being too lazy to try and make it myself too often, because it rocks the house when it's homemade and it has more calories than a McDonald's Happy Meal.

I give thanks for the little things that make our lives better, like a Tori Amos song coming on the radio or my kitty cat lying on top of me without poking his butt in my face and a hot bath on a cold day. And my little Baby Balsamic. She is truly my condiment delight.

Have a great Thanksgiving. And my advice is -- don't eschew the canned cranberry sauce. I've grown quite attached to it. The sweetness brightens up the heaviest of gravies.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiHo Marcie;
Thank you for this Condiment Page.
It's fun to keep up with you and
yours. Big Daddy included.
May you and yours have the best of
Holidaze's (sp) and keep up the writing.
Sincerly, Pleasant Valley Sally

6:11 AM  
Blogger Brent Hartinger said...

Hmmmmm, LONG TIME NO POST.

;-)

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter