Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I would do anything for condiments...

The title of tonight's post is brought to you courtesy of that great artiste of American Rock n' Roll - whose name is synonymous with that of a tasty dish that can soak up all kinds of condiments - MEATLOAF!

I'm in a reflective mood, so this will ramble a bit. This last weekend, I had a dear old friend over for dinner who recently started reading my blog.

"I like your blog, but I fear it will make me spend too much money. All those condiments look so good and they're so expensive."

My hand froze in mid-air, hovering over the jar of Silver Palate Hot Stuff Salsa that I received as a birthday gift. Am I a snob? Do I only revel in expensive condiments that might be enjoyed by Donald Trump and Paris Hilton as they tango on writhing masses of the poor? This cannot be. I am a girl of the people.

This Hot Stuff Salsa -- good, spicy, but not amazing -- retails for about $4.69. That's not a lot, is it? I mean, I have been known to purchase $30 bottles of balsamic vinegars, but that's different. Because I drink it while reading about the suffering of the writhing masses of the poor.

But I don't just recommend expensive condiments. I've carried on about ketchup and plain old French's mustard. Tonight, while dining out with friends, Mr. Mustard, Baby Balsamic and I enjoyed a simple swipe of bread through a plate sprinkled with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt. This was at a mid-range Italian restaurant and the bread liquids were not of the finest quality, but I found it the perfect end to a cold day. But I did briefly long for my expensive balsamic.

Then as I listened to the delighted screams of our friends' one year old daughter and Baby Balsamic while dipping their chicken nuggets (Baby Balsamic's favorite. It's because it involves dipping sauce) into a little bowl of ranch sauce, I realized that condiments is not about expense -- it's about what you're dipping and who you're dipping it with.

But remember, practice safe dipping.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter