Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year!

Goodness chickens, it's a new year and I've just been dithering away the holidays shopping for a Barbie for Baby Balsamic, partaking of the dipping sauce of good cheer, and bickering with Big Mama Salsa and Mr. Mustard. I probably needed to eat more ketchup as, per the ketchup advisory board (a brilliant Prairie Home Companion bit), ketchup has "natural mellowing agents." Everyone should just chill the f&ck out a little more, especially during the holidays.

However, in addition to the return of the sun and the birth of baby Jesus and all that, the holiday also gives us an excellent chance to enjoy new condiments. I have a few to blog about over the next couple days, but first off, let me say that one of my New Year's resolutions is to blog every. Single. Day. That's right. Everyday, I will be dispensing lucious words of tart wisdom. Or just complaining bitterly about a disappointing jar.

Which brings us to the topic of tonight's post. We all know of my love for Lemon Dill Caper sauce by Robert Rothschild farms. It's light, tangy and creamy and just gooses the hell out of a drab roast chicken. Tonight, after eight hours of travel, Mr. Mustard was exceedingly crabby and insisted on ready-made Prime Rib for dinner. I was fine with that and to celebrate our return to town, I tossed a jar of Garlic and Onion Horseradish Dip by Robert Rothschild. I sat down to enjoy and instead found myself dipping my beef into a hot horseradish with no hint of other flavors and, adding injury to insult, more fat and calories than just plain horseradish. So I got fatter without enjoying myself. It was just hot and a little thinner than just plain creamy style horseradish, so the texture wasn't even enjoyable.

More about texture in later posts. It's a key aspect to condiment enjoyment that's rarely explored.

I ended up adding a few spoonfuls of Norman Bishop G*D mustard to make it edible (and less fat!).

You know how I wrote about Norman Bishop and the biopic with Russel Crowe in a country kitchen? Well, Robert Rothschild would be played by a prissier British actor, who we think we hate, but then we see him slip an extra fifty to the down-and-out Polish housemaid and we see a soft side (Lemon Dill Caper sauce). But then we see him berate his houseboy for not buffing his shoes to an appropriate shine (Onion and Garlic Horseradish Dip).

Of course they also make something called "Chocolate Martini Cheese Ball and Dip. And I love Chocolate Martinis, so I will date Robert again, but I will be prepared to catch a taxi home, if you know what I mean.

Happy New Year to all of you. May all your condiment dreams come true in 2007!

And feel free to spank me if I don't put up a new post tomorrow.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter