Sunday, January 21, 2007

Why I love Mr. Mustard...

After my sincere New Year's resolution to blog daily, I see that I have yet again fallen down on my duties. Sigh. We've had a lot of snow and ice here and Condiment Grrl doesn't do snow and ice. It makes me tired and crabby and I take lots of baths and stare balefully at Baby Balsamic's rubber duck collection wondering why I still don't live in California.

I don't allow myself to think of much else.

But, the snow and ice did lead to one lovely discovery. I decided that we had to have chili and we ended up with a lovely pot of chili (with heavenly cornbread, but that's in the next post) that only needed a handful of chopped onions to be edibly acceptable.

The next morning, as Mr. Mustard and I read the paper while Baby Balsamic enjoyed the antics of Maisy Mouse and her friends on the demon television. I noticed a bottle of French's mustard left out from the night before. It startled me, because I usually keep a sharp eye on the condiments in our household.

"What's this? Why is this out?" I asked Mr. Mustard.

"Oh," he said, turning to the crossword puzzle, "I put that in the chili."

Mustard in chili? Why had I not thought of this? It seems so obvious now; I love chili dogs and those have mustard and onions on them. Remove the hot dog and the bun and you have chili with mustard!

As soon as he said it, my mouth started to water. The tangy mustard would pep up the tomato-heavy chili just right. And with some chopped red onion....yum! At lunchtime, I sat down to my own bowl of chili, added a ribbon of French's and a sprinkle of onions and then I was able to look out at the sparlking white snow and not be as crabby.

And I knew why I had married Mr. Mustard.

Then I noticed that Mr. Mustard wasn't eating any of the delicious cornbread I had made the night before with his chili and I knew trouble was brewing.

But I'll save that for the next post.

Condiment Grrl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter