Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cilantro Chutney! Really? Hmmm....

I discovered a new taste treat at my local fyne food market -- turkey samosas! And the turkey filling was flavorful and spicy and it's hard to go wrong with flaky pastry shells, but they supplied a cilantro chutney dipping sauce that added a light flavor to the heavy samosa. But I'm used to thinking about chutneys as being chunky sauces with chunks of strange vegetables that have been pickled in strange vinegars shipped in from exotic ports of call. But this was kind of like someone tossed some cilantro and water and a little lime juice into a blender and called it a chutney.

I just looked up a recipe on an Indian foods site, www.indianfoodsco.com, and it contained this list of ingredients:

1 bunch cilantro, fresh
1 or 2 small green chili, fresh, remove seeds
juice of one lime
salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted, ground
1 pinch of black pepper
1 tbsp. coriander powder

This chutney didn't taste like it had all these ingredients, but it was still good. I even stole an extra container to add to my morning rice and beans.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter