Monday, February 05, 2007

A toast! Then a delightful burning...

Doesn't that sound like a line from a lessor-known Noel Coward tune? The full lyric would go something like:

Clink spoons, not glasses, my dear
Laugh and face the light
Enjoy the substance similar to beer
But softer and cleaner, still a wicked plight

Hoist out your cracker by its own petard
Put down your pretty pursa
It's champagne with mustard!
Or vice versa

I thought it was quite good until I got to pursa. Ah well. That is why I am a Condiment Grrl and nothing else. Except a mother. And a writer. And I knit, badly.

I have no idea how long this jar of Champagne Mustard sitting before me has been opened. I can't remember opening it. Mr. Mustard can't remember opening it. It may just be one of those things that sweeps behind the coupling and co-housing of a couple, an object caught in the wake of the joining. Good lord, I'm poetic tonight. It's probably because of Prince's awesome performance in the Super Bowl.

Anyway, I've always kind of avoided it. It seemed just like a mediocre variety of a hot and sweet mustard. And why call it Champagne mustard? Is that just a food industry standard for a sweet mustard? I just read the label and saw that Champagne is an actual ingredient, which kind of surprised me. I thought it was just a flourish, not a real ingredient. The mustard itself is pretty straightforward, nothing that memorable, sweet, but not too much. It's a brand called Putney's and I mostly pulled it out because, HORRORS, I couldn't find any Dijon mustard for a salad dressing that I was making.

I went and searched the Mustard Museum website and I see that they have about 25 varieties of Champagne mustard including one from Norman Bishop. I am horrified that I didn't find out about it until now. Strange side note -- it includes White Wine, not Champagne.

This blog entry gets stranger yet. I just did a wikipedia search on "Champagne Mustard" and saw that they pulled up a reference to an episode of the greatest show EVER "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" as having a 3.9% match to my query (there's no entry for Champagne Mustard).

The episode summary contains this line: "In St. Petersburg, Russia, 1905, Anyanka and Halfrek dine on champagne after massacring a room full of men."

I sense another Noel Coward tune in the making...

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter