Friday, February 16, 2007

Ja love, Pickapeppa sauce

I recently bought a bottle of Pickapeppa sauce for the first time in a few years. The thick, spicy, Worchesthureushire (yeah, I know I misspelled it) like sauce brings back memories of when I first relocated to Seattle and would visit friends who lived rurally on the outskirts of Tenino (hot spot: The Beaver Den!). They are beloved people in my life; Sara is a sister to me. And yet, their love for condiments was lacking back then.

I was literally broke, living on the edge, whoring myself to Kelly Girl to make a few bucks, and yet, I would stop at the store before I got to their house to be sure they had a few food staples, including Pickapeppa sauce. I was in a stage then where it was not breakfast without boiled eggs slathered with Pickapeppa sauce. Without the tangy sting on my tongue mellowed by the tepid egg, I would be in a foul mood all day long.

Another friend introduced me to Pickapeppa sauce at a chick's gathering (or Women's group or something similar) where she placed a plate with a quivering block of cream cheese surrounded by Triskets. She then approached the strange site with a pretty brown bottle with a parrot on it, opened it and poured it on the cream cheese, picked up a cracker and swiped it through the strange mound. My mouth is watering at the memory. The thick sweet/spicy sauce compliments cream cheese perfectly.

My naturopath said I'm not supposed to eat eggs. And yet. And yet. I checked the fridge to see if I had any eggs. Baby Balsamic asked "Whatchu doin' mama?"

I covered the eggs with my arm, "Seeing if we have eggs. You are in for a breakfast treat tomorrow morning."

BTW...RIP Beaver Den which closed years ago. Now there's one of those hideous "Fifties style" diners in its place.

Condiment Grrl

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Condiment Girl,
I had to comment on your Pickapeppa piece. This Jamcacan wonder has been a staple for as long as I can remember. There just are few pallets which a smear of PS doesn't brighten, if not illuminate. Of course there are few palates that PS doesn't brighten or illuminate.

2:30 PM  
Blogger CondimentGrrl said...

It's wonderful! And it's all natural! I checked out the ingredient list and could find no partially hydrogenated oils or corn starches or anything!

Hurray for Pickapeppa sauce!

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter