Monday, March 26, 2007

This Week in Condiments

Raspberry Honey Mustard as a dipping sauce for pretzels?

I guess it could happen. Many things could happen. I heard about this combination from a friend who runs a wonderful local blog for parents: Tacoma Kids. And it's another one for the "Wow, I never thought of THAT combination, but now that you say it, it sounds amazing!" And yes, that's the technical name. There's a newish store that sells fresh meat and produce nearby and they also have a big condiment rack in the middle of the store. Periodically, they put out samples of their condiments for hungry shoppers (usually harried moms who've just picked up their kids from school).

I have to stop and comment here that I find it amusing that a small store would still find enough market value to devote a good portion of their floor space to condiments. It speaks to the strength, the power, the indescribable allure of condiments.

Asian Italian Fusion Dipping Sauce

Last night, Baby Balsamic and I took Big Daddy Condiment to a local Italian restaurant. While they put out lovely little bottles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar(!), they didn't ever see fit to put bread on our table. Not that I could have any (trying to be gluten-free, you know, which plays havoc with trying dipping sauces. Sigh). But I did enjoy adding a balsamic element to my caesar salad. Deep-fried green beans were the appetizer of choice and they came with an interesting dipping sauce: a hot, sweet sauce that I'm used to experiencing with spring rolls. They were tasty, but the breading was a bit too thick and drowned the taste of the green beans.

However, I got to watch my father use the rest of the mixture to dip his steak into, even though it came with a cascade of sauteed onion sauce. You wonder how I became what I am.

Red wine vinegar - a true love

Last week, I made up a salad dressing involving olive oil, shallots, red wine vinegar and an almost nauseating amount of dijon mustard. And yet, and yet. It reminded me of a time when balsamic was but a word I glimpsed when gazing longingly at the Chez Panisse menu in my childhood. When red wine vinegar was the center and the light of my young world.

It's late and I need to post this, but I will get the recipe up in the next few days.

Condiment Grrl

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter