Sunday, June 10, 2007

Six degrees of separation from Condiments...

True confession: I HEART Turner Classic Movies. I could sit around all day watching dames in hot satin nightgowns pour stiff drinks for hair gel be-slicked men wearing pants that practically ride up to their armpits speaking sparkling dialog, the likes of which we will never again hear in the movies. And the plots -- those crazy plots! A mysterious young woman disappears, presumed dead, the detective falls in love with her picture, but she's still alive, then Fred Astaire comes in and they all tap dance while Harpo Marx randomly blows a horn and plays a harp.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

I was laying around the other day, thinking deep thoughts, when a movie I had never heard of --Hullabaloo, starring none other than the Wizard of Oz himself, Frank Morgan. The Wizard was playing an adorable louse who wants to be a radio star, if only he could get out of the clutches of three ex-wives and the children he's littered behind him. Hijinx ensue and then everyone appears in a giant radio show where Fred Astaire comes out and everyone tap dances and Harpo Marx...well, you get the idea.

I always like to follow up on movies I've seen with IMDB to glean more interesting details and to procrastinate. In Frank Morgan's bio on the site, it listed that his family made it's money by producing Angostura Bitters -- an apertif and digestif normally added to cocktails to settle the stomach. A sort of cocktail condiment. I quickly searched the house to see if I had a bottle of this lurking in a filing cabinet or in Baby Balsamic's bookshelf (stranger things have turned up in the house). The jar looked so familiar to me, but I realize now that what I recognized is its close resemblance to Worchestchershirechestshire Sauce (look, I can't even spell it correctly enough to locate a record on Wikipedia, so this is what you get. You know what I'm talking about). And the label has that British, highly refined, lots of complicated words look that make you think you're getting a high-quality product.

So, my new goal is to purchase a bottle of Angostura bitters and add them to gin (to make Pink Gin) and then review. The cocktail will only be to better serve you, my devoted readers. And maybe if I drink enough, then I'll get to see Fred Astaire play the harp while Harpo Marx tap dances and I'll wear a hot satin nightgown.

And all because the Wizard was in a movie I saw and I discovered his family heritage. This lust for condiments brings all sorts of good things into my life.

To summarize:

1. Drinking Angostura Bitters in a cocktail will help your digestion and bring you one step closer to Frank Morgan who...
2. Played the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland who...
3. Starred in Easter Parade with Fred Astaire who...
4. Taught Harpo Marx to play the harp!

Okay, I made that last step up, but look drink Angostura Bitters and you're 3 steps away from a dancing legend. Is this a great country or what?

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter