Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Nose for Truffles

Here's a Condiment Grrl secret: I was switched at birth with Paris Hilton. It's very clear from my tastes and desires that I was born to live a life swathed in baby mink fur, bathing in endangered seal oil, while a diverse ethnic group of minions buffed my pink toes. And, bien sur, I would be feasting on the finest that the condiment world has to offer, including lots and lots of lots of things involving truffles.

You see, I'm a newcomer to mushrooms. When I turned three and began to cultivate a more discerning diet (not unlike, sigh, my own Baby Balsamic), I summarily rejected all mushrooms from my diet. They were yucky, musty, overrated.

They were just bad. But I've recently discovered that I have a taste for the more expensive mushrooms: Chantrelles, Portobellos, and, of course, truffles. They were intriguing, strange, with exotic hints of faraway places that might have bred the ethnically diverse minions who would one day serve my every need.

The truffles is the newest discovery. An old friend visited and brought me a selection of delicious condiments, including an Olive Truffle paste that absolutely floored me. The "je ne sais quoi" of the truffles lightens the usual saltiness of the Olive paste. It's one of those foods that you try and remember where you tasted THAT flavor before - the South of France? Chicago? Fife? In some ways, the very distinct yet almost elusive flavor of the truffle is like a past life portal that almost makes you remember a different life. One of satin nightgowns and 3 a.m. scotch and lots and lots and lots of hair gel. One where you slept in a giant white fluffy bed with rose red curtains and were awakened at 11 with a tray of coffee, orange juice, and an omelet lightly dusted with truffle extract.

I can almost taste it. Ahhh...the condiment as a portal to past and possible lives. Dip into it carefully.

Condiment Grrl

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger luler on the fly said...

Dude, have you tried truffle salt? Go-- go now and buy some! Its good on everything, potatoes, pasta, eggs, old cardboard, really anything!

Yours in the okra sisterhood, Juniper

5:04 PM  
Blogger CondimentGrrl said...

I can't believe you wrote that right after I blogged about Gray Sea Salt. I will try Truffle salt. It's like we're telepathically joined through condiments. Awesome!

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter