Saturday, August 04, 2007

Specialty Salt is the new black

After months and months of being grievously tempted, then resisting, I finally turned to the dark side and found in my possession Gray Sea Salt with Five Pepper Blend. One of them new fangled "specialty salts" that so disappointed me months ago, when I got a strange cranberry blend that just tasted weird. Not salty, not cranberry, just...odd.

But let me back up. I recently had a birthday and Mr. Mustard very sensitively presented me with an array of expensive specialty condiments, including the Gray Sea Salt from the Ile de Re (with an accent over both the I and the e in Re. It's FRANCAISE!) Which means it's made in France so it's far better than any lowly American salt. In fact, on the label it reads "Harvested by hand, this all-natural gray sea salt has been gathered off of France's Atlantic coast since the 11th century. Mixed with a blend of five peppers..le blah le blah le blah." You can just picture peasants who's brief brutal lives usually ended by the time they were 30, happily harvesting the salt for their feudal lords who used it to buy China and other big things, because salt was so valuable.

Of course, now they hand harvest it for Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Much different.

Anyway, history lessons aside, this salt is very tasty - tangy, but with a delightful pepper blend, including pink peppercorns that have just the slightest sweetness to them. In addition to the five colors of Benneton pepper blend (white, green pink, and black!), there's also Paprika, Coriander, Thyme, and Rosemary. It's salty, but flavorful and it packs a big punch. I probably eat too much of it and now I'll get high blood pressure and die. But it's also crunchy, which adds a texture plus to anything you add it to. Put it in a salad and it just makes the greens snap and crackle.

I also got 25 year old Balsamic Vinegar, but I'll blog about that in a separate post.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter