Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Things I Do for You People

Friend and Commenter, Brent, wanted a review of ALL the Chicken McNugget McDipping sauces that McDonald's has to offer. So, in the interest of scientific and epicureal advancement, Mr. Mustard, Baby Balsamic and I dined on a meal of Chicken Nuggets.

There are twenty-four grams of fat in the ten-piece serving I consumed. I think I gained five pounds in one sitting. Don't say I never did anything for you!

First off, special thanks to Mr. Mustard for helping me with my research. He truly devoted himself to the cause, dipping and commenting with aplomp. Baby Balsamic is in a bit of a rut, as children are wont to be at age 2, so she stuck with her beloved "Kechp."

And not only did Mr. Mustard participate, he was the one who sweet-talked the young counter-person into supplying us with all they had to offer. They're "not supposed to do that," but my Mr. Mustard can be quite smooth and suave.

Here's our review of sauces, in order of preference:

1. Spicy Buffalo - this was quite surprisingly spicy and tasty. Both Mr. Mustard and I were in agreement that it was our favorite, but he thought it was too vinegary. Me, the words "too vinegary" aren't in my vocabulary. This sauce was also actually the healthiest in terms of ingredients: lots of natural ones and no High Fructose Corn syrup. There's a good taste of the cayenne and it's a touch creamy. It's still kind of hot, so I liked combining this with the Ranch sauce.

2. Ranch - Again with the no bad ingredients. Nice, creamy ranch dressing. It's a little too bland for me to want to go a dipping session alone with, but it makes for an excellent addition to a threesome.

3. Chipotle Barbeque - First ingredient: the deadly High Fructose Corn Syrup. Now, up until our taste test, I had been partial to combining this sauce with the Ranch sauce. I still like it, but I found myself preferring the Spicy Buffalo. But it's still tomatoey with both actual Chipotle and Smoke Flavor kicking it up a notch. I wouldn't throw myself off the Golden Arches if I had to only have this as a dipping sauce.

4. Sweet-N-Sour - Again with the High Fructose Corn Syrup! I know it's McDonalds, but they should just offer Diabetes 2 tests along with all their foodstuffs. It's everywhere! The sauce is fine; pretty standard sweet and sour sauce you'd get at any cheap Chinese restaurant. And it made for a sweet contrast when the Spicy Buffalo got overwhelming.

5. Hot Mustard - Not hot. And it should hang its head in shame to claim the name "mustard." Kind of bitter, no vinegar (for heaven's sake!). Just brown, strange sauce. Really. If you ever get nuggets and they are out of everything else, just please, for the love of God, go for the "ketchp."

6. Regular Barbeque -- not tasty, almost like ketchup with just a hint of chemically smoke flavoring. We agreed it was the worst, even worse than the hot mustard. In fact, the first time I published this post, I left it out, so eager was I to forget my experience.

Please, if you have differing opinions of the dipping sauces, feel free to email me. I'd be curious if there are any McDonald's Hot Mustard devotees out there. Disappointed, too.

Yours in High Fructose Corn Syrup,

Condiment Grrl

5 Comments:

Blogger Trish Ryan said...

Oh my gosh - an entire blog devoted to condiments! And an entire post devoted to McDonald's condiments (which really are the gold-standard). This is like a dream come true :)

Special sauce - it makes everything better!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Um, as a former employee of McDonalds (hey, it was waaaay back in high school - everyone gets one such transgression), I hate to say it, but "special sauce" is basically just "Thousand Island Dressing", with a bit more mayo and a bit less ketsup, and which was delivered in Costco sized plastic buckets (this of course being many years before the invention of Costco, but still, you get the idea).

8:01 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Oh, and I'm definitely going for the Spicy Buffalo, assuming I ever eat at McD's again...

8:02 PM  
Blogger Brent Hartinger said...

Bravo!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Yaoi Boy said...

Okay, this is a really old post, I know. I hope you get this. :)

I am a truly truly die-hard Mccy D's Hot Mustard fan. When I was a kid, I used to get extra of it so I could eat it by itself. I don't know why I like it so much. But, I can't eat McDonald's nuggets without it.

(I actually found this post looking for a "McDonald's Hot Mustard" recipie. :))

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter