Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Have you tried Fresh Fennel Relish? Inquiring minds want to know.

A reader recently wrote in and asked me what they could do with a jar of Fresh Fennel Relish from Stonewall Kitchen. Well, chickadees, I was caught with my hand NOT in the mustard jar, to badly mix metaphors. I currently don't and never have owned a jar of this particular relish. I sent Mr. Mustard condiment hunting, but it's been two days and he hasn't returned, so I may give up and order it and a new husband online. But, I have tried other relishes AND I know my fennel root so this is what I replied:

Relishes are great and versatile, so you can do any number of things with them. Try them on crackers with a sweet cheddar cheese. The cheese often makes a nice base for the flavors and textures in the relish. And as fennel is a root, it might be really good mixed with a cooked beet salad. I think the fennel and beet would complement each other. Since it's late summer, it might also be nice as a finish on a sweet fish, like salmon or halibut. And chicken is such a great base food for almost anyone's condiment fantasies: mustards, mayonnaises, relishes. It can be cold or warm.

On the Stonewall Kitchen website, they also recommended trying their relishes with pasta. I don't know if the fennel might be too overpowering on its own, but it might go nicely with a mushroom ravioli.

Anyone out there tried Fresh Fennel relish? I'll post my findings as soon as they come in. In the meantime, I want a cheese sandwich with a nice relish for breakfast.

Condiment Grrl

1 Comments:

Blogger Brent Hartinger said...

I think this post contains bad, even dangerous, advice.

When ordering a new husband, it's always best to shop at a traditional brick-and-mortor store, NEVER online. That way, you can "squeeze the Charmin," so to speak.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter