Thursday, January 03, 2008

A Simple beginning to 2008

Greetings all and Happy New Year!

I am planning to do a round-up of the year in condiments, but I have been still recovering from all the crazy merry merry of the holiday season. Condiment and family overload (in a good way - Hi Mom!). And I just haven't had the energy to do my big wrap-up, but my new Zen calendar for 2008 prompted me through its gentle, meaningful sayings to perhaps start with something simple.

Which is perfect, because I've been meaning to blog about a simple thing; a simple solution to an old problem - more texture in salad. Say you're like me and have been verboten by your crazy German naturopath from eating wheat so "NO CROUTONS FOR YOU!!!" And you're putting together your yummy salad and longing for something crunchy, something tangy and tantalizing that will give your salad the proverbial "legs."

Experiment.

I had the dregs of an evil, evil bag of salt n' vinegar chips (a condiment and fat-lovers dream come true, but manufactured in hell). In an act of inspration, I poured the rest of the bag out over my salad and smashed the rest so they would disperse throughout my salad.

It was good, it was tangy, it was simple. And so we have my motto for 2008 - Good, Tangy, and Simple.

Happy New Year

Condiment Grrl

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Nuts.

Wait, let me rephrase that. Nuts in salads add that crunchy texture without having to worry about the whole gluten thang. I like to saute them lightly in a bit of butter until they start to turn brown, then add just a tiny sprinkle of salt to enhance the flavor, before tossing them in along with all the other fixings.

And almost any kind of nut will do: pecans, almonds, walnuts, filberts & of course pine nuts are all great in salads. Even the lowly, humble peanut can be of use, especially if you're going for an Asian flair.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter