Saturday, November 03, 2007

Two New Condiments -- So Quit Whining!

I get occasional annoyed emails from people when I don't blog more regularly, but my god, people, "Grey's Anatomy" just came back on the air and I have to be a Mom occasionally and stuff. Important things. Not to mention dragging Baby Balsamic around the neighborhood to extort sugared goodies from the neighbors.

Side note: Baby Balsamic is famous! Here she is with her godfather, the esteemed editor of AfterElton - scroll down just a bit to see her in her snow princess outfit. Tres adorable!

Not only that, but, like the Xmas angel, I bring you glad tidings -- I discovered two delicious new condiments in the last week. Friday was payday, I'd been having a rough time in my corporate fiefdom, and instead of hitting the vodka, I hit the condiment aisle. I've been out of my G*D mustard for awhile and none of the mustards were quite what I wanted as a consistent side accompaniment to chicken or fish or my salad dressing. Oh, don't get me wrong, it was me, not my stable of mustards. I just wasn't in the mood for the pessimistic streak of dijon mustard. I needed lemons and lightness, which I found in spades in the Lemon Dill mustard by Earth & Vine. Such a wholesome, yet fancy-pants liberal gourmet name, but I love that there website has a folksy "n" in the name: www.earthnvine.com. You can just see some old codger, his pants hiked up to armpits, yelling off the porch, "Martha, we won't be needin' to go to the country store, we got the earth n vine place on the interwebs! They say 'n' just like us folks!"

Now, I've tried other mustards by this brand and had been disappointed. So, my eyes kept going past the Lemon Dill until finally, something (the Xmas angel perhaps?) told me to take a look at this one, the baby brother all grown up and ready to pluck. My one word of warning -- if you don't like lemon, don't get this mustard. The tang of the lemon is the strongest flavor in it. Also, the texture is a little watery. Even after opening it and putting it in the fridge for a night. But I couldn't get enough of it today. I enjoyed it with both my lunch and my dinner entrees.

The other new product is a Spicy Tomato Relish by the people who brought us the most awesome Holy Jalapeno jelly, my favorite of the jalapeno jellies out there on the market. Man, like the first product, this one holds no punches -- it just kicks you right in the gut. It is HOT! But tasty. And I'd never had a spicy tomato relish and I liked the rich nightshade flavor of the tomatoes in the relish reduction.

Not only that, but per the website, "Both are very carefully made with the finest quality ingredients available with no preservatives, additives, artificial color or corn syrup. They are also both fat free and have no cholesterol." Awesome! If Baby Balsamic could stomach hot things, I could feed her this with a clear mind while we wait for the glaciers to melt and the earth to heat up to unbearable temperatures.

Thank goodness I have all of her Halloween candy. I need it.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter