Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Kosher Japanese connection

As our world becomes smaller and smaller, our cultures merge and marry, foam and thicken and churn out new and strange products for us to consume and merge into our busy lives. I will never forget the meal I had a few years ago in New York at a Cuban-Chinese restaurant. Actually, I lied, I'll never forget that I HAD a meal at a Cuban-Chinese restaurant. I can barely remember what I ate, but I do remember there were plantains involved, because it was Cuban cuisine.

Baby Balsamic and I journeyed south to the Bay Area to visit with friends and family. When I opened Big Mama Salsa's refrigerator, it's like remembering why I am who I am -- she has about five billion condiments (frugal, compared to my 12 billion, but still significant). Some of them have been in there since I was a child. I had to retire a couple bottles of marinades and dressings that went bad when Reagan was still president.

But there are a few that Big Mama Salsa keeps buying and using, but feel like they've been in there forever. And there's some that I have passed over, time after time, because I was in the mood for something else or I was just being rebellious because I wasn't going to use my mother's condiments. It's like dying my hair blue and dating the guy who drove the hearse who called himself Ren, short for Renegade. Those were square condiments, man!

We were trying to simply and quickly barbeque some pork chops, so pulled out a bottle of Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce, marinated the chops for about an hour, tossed them on the grill and finished them off. Perfect! Sweet, but tangy. The sauce is kosher with nice chunks of garlic floating around in the thick almost chocolately looking darkness. According to the website, "the basic ingredients in Soy Vay are an imported Hoi Sin sauce plus other spices; a combination of soya bean, garlic, sugar, vinegar, sesame seed and chili." And you can really taste each ingredient.




Although, I don't really get the Jewish connection except that it's Kosher and a cute marketing idea, it's good sauce. And I can like it and it makes me realize that maybe I am a grown-up now and I don't have to reject all things my mom likes, except maybe those multi-colored rap pants she's so enamored of. I still hate those.

Condiment Grrl

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Yeah, Kosher seems to be the new culinary "fad" these days.

Here's another example.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter