Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Pablano Aioli and Demure Popcorn

Yesterday was my birthday and Mr. Mustard and I got gussied up, left Baby Balsamic in the care of her Godfather, Uncle Cherry, and went out to dinner and a movie. A rare treat for the busy condiment couple on the go!

First off, we stopped at a local Argentinian eatery and dined on lobster salad with a champagne vinaigrette (fine, but not that exciting), yucca fries, and grilled prawns. Yucca fries are a bit denser than potatoes and have an inherent sweetness to their meat that went very nicely with the pablano aioli dipping sauce provided. Now, here's a strange thing: the grilled prawns were also served with a pablano aioli, but it was not as spicy or good as the one served on the side of the yucca fries. Was it because the Yucca fries sweetness contrasted more readily with the zip of the pablano creaminess? Because the prawns were a bit oily, which mixed with the aioli, diluting it? Probably both those things and a little bit more, but, like Iris Dement, I will let the mystery be and wrap myself in the sweet memory of dipping the crispy yucca fry in the pablano, savoring it, then taking a sip of delicious Argentinian wine.

Next up, Mr. Mustard and I went to see "The Devil Wears Prada." This has nothing to do with condiments, but let me just say that if Meryl Streep were a condiment, she would be Balsamic vinegar, Dill Garlic Mustard and Holy Jalapeno relish. And many more. She's that good.

After the film, I was waiting for Mr. Mustard to emerge from the powder room (he's quite vain), when I noticed a row of open, plastic canisters in the napkin and fork counter across from the snack bar. I picked one up, sniffed it, and was transported to a greasy spoon in the backwoods of California that served a moderately decent spagetti. Then, I picked up another one and was taken back to Girl Scout camp and Spin the Bottle and S'mores with a whiff of Chocolate Marshmallow. These were brands of spices that you could sprinkle on your popcorn! I had never heard of such a thing. My first thought was that they must contain every bad chemical known to humankind, but no, they did not. No MSG or anything. They had a full range from Jalapeno to just plain Butter. The brand is No More Naked Popcorn and I plan to order a jar or two for my private reserve. I can't vouch for it now because we didn't have popcorn, but I will review in the future.

And I'm another year older and all I can think about are all the yummy condiments in my future. It's a good life.

Condiment Grrl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter