Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sweet memories of Branston Pickle

I was thirteen the first time I travelled to Jolly Olde Englande. Yes, I enjoyed Buckingham Palace and Stonehenge and the theater and London's incredible history, but what really stuck with me were the food stuffs I couldn't get here in the U.S.A. Especially two condiments: Branston Pickle and Sainsbury's Chocolate Spread. Branston pickle is sort of a sweet chutneyesque relish that you can spoon onto a cheese sandwich or just eat right out of the jar. Brown, sweet and savory, it reminds me of my favorite English actor, Naveen Andrews. It's chunky and surprising and you can put it on anything. It's especially good with pork.

Now Sainsbury's Chocolate Spread is definately for those with a sweet tooth. It tastes sort of like a thick Hershey's syrup that you can spread on bread. Oh, yum, I'm salivating now. Just the memory of my friend Donald's lower level kitchen (like in most London houses), looking out on the garden as I covered a piece of bread with the divine sweet substance. Nice.

There were other things you used to not be able to get anymore: Salt n' Vinegar chips and Yorkie bars being the two items with the most meaning to me. Now, of course, you can get most of these things (not Sainsbury's Chocolate spread and NO, Nutella is not the same thing. It's a little too arty and nutty for my tastes).

I was reminded of Branston Pickle this last weekend when I vacationed on Orcas Island with Baby Balsamic, my mother and two family friends, one of whom visited from England and brought her niece, the other family friend, a bottle of Branston Pickle. Now, it was a squeeze bottle, which they didn't have in my day. But as soon as I squeezed the bottle and smelled the distinct aroma, I was taken back to a younger, simpler time when there weren't McDonald's next to the Roman Colisseum and Starbucks in the wilds of Cambodia. I believe you can get the Branston Pickle here now, but I am hesitant to seek it out because I love the whole process of only receiving a sacred bottle after begging someone traveling there to bring me one back.

So, if you're going to England, please bring me back a bottle of Branston Pickle and a tub of Sainsbury's Chocolate Spread. And give my regards to the Queen.

Condiment Grrl

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Have you ever been out to the British Pantry & Tearoom in Redmond? They have Branston Pickle. You can even order it online:

http://www.thebritishpantryltd.com/webstore/listproducts.php

No Sainsbury's Choco Spread, though. But, maybe if you ask nicely, they can special order it for you.

9:57 AM  
Blogger CondimentGrrl said...

Thanks Chris! I will definately check these people out and give them a stern talking to about not providing Sainsbury's Chocolate Spread...

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea...I get my Branston pickle at www.spicyusa.com. But they dont have Sainsburys either. But their Branston pickle is cheap! hope this helps!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter