Monday, February 15, 2010

Truffle Honey, oh, Truffle Honey


If condiments were people, I would turn truffle honey into a doe-eyed young man with large light brown eyes, longish hair the color of summer oak, a smile that could melt the frozen heart of Ann Coulter, two dimples shining on either side of delicious lips. My Truffle Honey would be dressed in Renaissance-Faire type clothes - leather pants, puffy pirate-like shirt. You know, the type of clothing that could turn the Elephant Man into liquid sex.

On parchment, I would write truffle honey a note:

"Dear Truffle Honey, do you love me? Check yes or no. Yours forever."

Man, this condiment is the FULL PACKAGE - savory, yet sweet with the consistency of, well, honey. These days, most condiments are trying to have it all and be sweet and savory at the same time. Some succeed. Some fail.

Honey already has it's beautiful color going for it. When you add the truffle in, all you see are a few tantalizing slivers of dark mushroom floating in it. I know that doesn't sound appetizing, but the flavor is so delicate and surprising. On first taste, you think "well, I don't really taste the truffle," but then BANG, there's the truffle taste racing in for the finish. It's surprising. And I still can't find words to describe the truffle taste, given that I normally hate mushrooms. It's rich and musky. It's strong. It tastes like a large forest after a long, cleansing rainstorm.

My one criticism is, just like the pretty young man dressed for a Faire, I'm not sure where to take the honey. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to put it on or to mix it with. I'm very protective of it and I don't want to waste it yet. I have yet to try it in the Balsamic dressing I adore so much. Perhaps, that is my next step. I guess I've just been enjoying keeping my truffle honey to myself. Dipping my pinky in for a taste here and there. I sigh and close my eyes, reveling in its strange flavor.

The brand I have - a Christmas present, of course - is Italian. Mielo eon Tartufo Bianco. And it's all written in fancy script on a teeny, tiny little jar made by a company called Tartuflanghe. Check out their website for other delicious products made with truffle (a creamy parmesan reggiano with truffle in particular is very tempting). You need lots of Euro.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. For now, I will keep my handsome young truffle honey all to myself....
Condiment Grrl

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

please, please, let me become a fan on
Facebook. Send me the link. I am a die-hard condiment fan and love ABBa and all don't know how i'd get through anight without dijon, salami and buttered baguettes.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Lonnie said...

Yes, definitely try it in your salad dressing! How about on toast, with butter? or.. mixed with some dijon, and baked on chicken....

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try it with a strong blue cheese. Or drizzled on the top of some fresh ricotta cheese on a nice piece of bread

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter