Monday, May 08, 2006

CondimentGrrl Begins

Welcome to my blog! If you're reading this, you either really love me or you're proscratinating. Cut it out! Don't read this! Get back to work! Write that book! Plant that garden! Defeat that loathsome Republican running for local office!

Or keep reading.

The first question you may have for me is "Why CondimentGrrl? Why such a strange, cryptic alias?" Well, children, these are strange and cryptic times. But there's one thing that gets me through the day: condiments. When my husband and I first moved in together, I went to work while he was unpacking the kitchen. When I came home, he was bent over in defeat in front of the refrigerator.

"We're going to need another refrigerator for your condiments." He sighed.

It was almost like that scene in Jaws when Roy Scheider first sees the shark and says, "We're going to need a bigger boat."

Yes, my love for condiments is like the slow, stealthy, lethal hunger of the great predator of the deep. I head to the store for Cheerios and come home with a fabulous new cranberry-infused horseradish mustard that I JUST HAD TO TRY on mashed potatoes. Or Cheerios.

So, here on my inaugural blog, I will post just a sampling of the condiments currently inhabiting my kitchen. I plan to blog about my favorite condiments and recipes in the future too:

Norman Bishop's Garlic and Dill Mustard - tasting this mustard is like looking upon the face of God. Really. It's brought me to a whole new spiritual plateau in my life.

Garlic and Onion Jam - sweet and savory. Delicious on lamb and pork.

Lemon Dill Caper Sauce - to die for creamy sauce that transforms plain roasted chicken into a night at Maxime's in Paris with a young and handsome Louis Jourdan pouring you yet another glass of bubbly while groping your knee under the table. Continental and earthy at the same time.

Annie's Goddess Dressing - I only recently discovered this absolutely out of this world dressing/sauce and have renamed it "crack." Because, YOU CANNOT STOP DIPPING THINGS INTO IT. Subtle Asian flavors infused into a creamy base.

More condiments to come. But for now, I'll leave you with this touching story of my youth so you begin to understand my psyche and my passion:

As a wee girl in the wilds of Oakland, California, one of my favorite snacks was raw garlic and cold milk. The burning, tangy taste of the garlic could instantly be softened and transformed by the sweet cool milk. I introduced one of my little friends to this taste treat and, to my delight and surprise, she loved it as well. She had a birthday party soon after and had all us girls gather in her dining room for a snack. At every place on the table, was a little clove of garlic and a glass of milk.

The other girls just stared, but she looked at me and smiled. "I just thought it was really good."

Amen, sister. I would like to say that we stayed friends forever, but the only thing I can remember about her is that her name was Shannon and she was vaguely stout with brown hair. Hopefully, she's now a master chef at Maxime's and having fabulous life somewhere.

To Dip is to Live,

CondimentGrrl



3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Hey, Bellalou, your blog is no longer a virgin. Here's to many cool entries and a flavorful dip of ginger/soy/sake on your gyoza.

~C~

7:49 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I'm the same way with hot sauces, but fortunately, they don't require as much refrigeration.

And garlic & milk - well, that's just garlic mashed potatoes - without the potatoes of course - and I LOVES me my garlic mashers, so it must be good.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grrl-

I can't seem to recall how I came across this web site in the first place, but somehow I did, and I bookmarked it. And now I have some place appropriate to post it:

http://www.clearfour.com/condiment/

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter